The goal of the Social, Emotional, and Behavior (SEB) Academy is to support schools and districts across Massachusetts to build evidence-based, data-driven, and culturally responsive systems of supports using the Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS) approach. Schools and/or districts receive intensive coaching and technical assistance, and participate in professional development and peer-sharing events throughout their three-year participation in the academy. The academy offers two different tracks:
What does the SEL & Mental Track focus on?
This track focuses on integrating and aligning SEL and mental health supports with existing priorities, systems, and practices of schools'/districts' guided by the MTSS framework. Based on their current context, teams are supported in three phases: assessing and planning; implementing and improving; and scaling and/or sustaining SEL and mental health efforts.
What can we expect to accomplish through the SEL & Mental Health Track?
Over the course of three years, schools and district will:
- Build educators’ capacity to implement programs and practices that support all students’ social and emotional growth
- Develop and/or strengthen a comprehensive structures to identify and address student mental health and SEL needs using interventions at all three MTSS tiers
- Put in place a process to evaluate and improve the effectiveness of programs and strategies
What does the PBIS Track focus on?
This track focuses on training school and district teams in their development and implementation of school and district-wide systems of behavioral supports and interventions. Based on the extensive research supporting the policies, practices and procedures of the Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports Framework, the trainings offered through this track will teach the structures, processes, resources, and collaboration needed for school-wide implementation of PBIS.
What can we expect to accomplish through the PBIS Track?
Over the course of three years, schools and districts will :
- Build local capacity to implement school-wide PBIS
- Develop a multi-year action plan towards adopting and implementing evidence-based and culturally relevant practices
- Put in place data systems for assessing students' strengths and needs, matching students to interventions, and monitoring progress